Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Marriage Is Like A Fish Tank

Marriage is like a fish tank, you can't go too long without mucking it out.  Maybe I should of titled this "Confession's of a Housewife".

Billy and I have been married 8 years. In that time we've had our share of bumps.  Times that we've had to look at our marriage and see what we need to change.  Overall we've been good at communicating and superb at working together.  It's recently that I've noticed that maybe we work together to well so much that we do thing automatically and don't think about it.  Take care of the kids, work, take care of the kids, work. Then when we do go out we look at each other and wonder what to talk about.  Complacency, comfortable and systematic, all thing I could name happening in our marriage.

I DON"T WANT THAT.  I don't want to wake up one day and not know the person sleeping next to me.  I want to feel passion and excitement.  I want to go to dinner and never stop talking. I know I'm not alone, because people say "We grew apart".  So after a lot of angry fighting  we talked. Not just a nice little chit chat a full blown conversation.

This is what we decided.

Time to clean out the fish tank.  Time to dig to the bottom of our foundation and clean out our marriage.  Number one thing is quality time.  When we first got married all we had was quality time. Quality time means putting the kids to bed and turning off the TV. Quality time means really seeing your spouse.  Quality time means having fun together.

So we've been doing just that and let me tell you I feel the sparks and I love the connection we have.  Perfect? Not at all, but better. Yes.

2 comments:

vicki said...

too bad that more young couples like you do not work at marriage like this. keep up the good work and before you know it you will be celebrating one milestone anniversary after another and wonder where the time went. Plus you will have the added benefit of knowing that you did things the right way and there will still be plenty of sparks flying.

aterwilliger said...

Great post!